Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Accessibility For All


Mr. Sullivan's presentation was very informative. I had no idea all the rules and regulations there were in providing public services to all people. Mr. Sullivan is an excellent speaker and developed his speech with ease. It was a pleasure to be his audience for his lecture. He knew the information very well. He has not let his disability be a handicap.
There are many challenges disabled individuals address to live like non-disabled individuals. When I thought about the society accommodating handicapped individuals, I usually only visualize wheel chair ramps, enlarged restroom stalls, and handicap parking. I guess that is what the media and my surroundings have only exposed to me.

I had no idea that I, as a future school teacher, had the authority or was personally required to make sure that all my computer software is handicap accessible. I never thought about, partially blind individuals, would utilize the web. It just never crossed my mind. I am glad technology is that advanced to be able to provide tools to assist the blind and others to use computers and do anything they desire.

I now know how important it is to do my part in making sure my computer websites are handicap accessible. I will definitely teach my students the importance of these procedures as well. Although it is the law, it is an honor to assist as much as I can.

2 comments:

Jennifer Averitt said...

Mr. Sullian's presentation, I believe, was truly inspiring. Keep up the good work.

Ms. Bridget said...

Hey Kimberly, this is the NERD your blog looks great. Like all the pictures.