Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Duke University Center for Documentary

I listened to Looking Back at 9/11 Across America: An Acoustic Exhibit Presenting American Voices in the Aftermath of the Attack from Duke University Center for Documentary Studies. As many of my classmates discussed, everyone remembers and will always remember 911. The people on this pod cast experiences were much different than mine.

I was in high school. It was 7:30am in the morning and I was looking for my track coach for our new practice schedule. When I opened the door to her office the gymnastic coach was standing at her desk listening to the radio. I proceeded to ask him “Do you know where McDade is?” He looked up at me with tears in his eyes and yelled “Shut up and shut the door!” I was in shock! I kindly walked out unaware with what was going on and continued looking for my track coach. Suddenly, the intercom came on and made an announcement of the first plane crash. I still did not understand what was going on. When I returned to my homeroom class, the teacher went into detailed the seriousness of what was occurring. I was finally getting an understanding of our country’s enemies, “terrorists”. It was a nightmare becoming a reality. This event changed U.S. History forever. What a tragedy! It made me feel angry, sad, and many other emotions all at the same time. But the question still stands, “Was or is going to war the answer?”

1 comment:

Jennifer Averitt said...

Oh what memories you bring back. I was driving into work at USA when the first attack happened. I was sitting at my desk when the others happened. We received a phone call from administration telling us to tell our ROTC students to get out of uniform immediately. We did not want our students to become "targets". That day and the following days were very stressful for all.